Continuously since 1990
McGill University’s heritage buildings contribute to the uniqueness of its downtown campus, the oldest building dates back to 1837. The institution needed a strategy to guide the repair and up-keep of its aging real estate.
FGMDA has provided architectural services for McGill University’s heritage buildings since 1990. Projects have run the gamut from full-rebuilding after fires to the retrofitting of rare book libraries. Since the late 1990s, FGMDA has restored the exteriors of the historic buildings of the Lower Campus, often achieving award-winning results within tight budget envelopes.
Various building rehabilitations have targeted exterior envelopes, focusing on masonry, windows and traditional roofing. Most of the Main Campus is built of Montreal grey limestone; however many of the mansions of the Upper Campus are in imported sandstones and marbles. Projects include: the Arts Building (1837); William and Henry Birks Building (1931); Morrice Hall (1880); Strathcona Music Building (1899); Martlet House (Seagram’s building, 1928); Redpath Museum (1882); Chancellor Day Hall ( 1892-1912); Angus Residence (1893) Redpath Hall (1893) Hosmer House (1903).
FGMDA were also the architects for the award-winning reconstruction of the fire-damaged Lady Meredith House (1892) and the Presbyterian College, affiliated with McGill University. The firm has worked extensively on the Faculty Club (1886), restoring its Queen Anne Revival interiors, rewiring and upgrading its services.
FGMDA has designed museological environments for both the McLennan Rare Books and Osler Libraries.
Throughout the decades, FGMDA has collaborated closely with the University administration to ensure that these restoration projects are exemplars of McGill’s stewardship of its built environment.
Preservation of a Heritage Building Award of Merit for the Rehabilitation of the Roofing at the Redpath Museum, awarded by the Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals (CAHP).
‘Prix Orange’ awarded by Sauvons Montréal for the renovation of Lady Meredith House.
“Very few urban campuses are as coherent as McGill’s. (…) McGill, while it is old and surrounded by the city, preserves ‘the still and quiet air of delightful studies’, quoting a phrase carved on the outside wall of the Redpath Library. ”Julia Gersovitz, quoted by Vivian Lewin in Rebuilding for the Future, for the McGill News Alumni Quarterly, Winter 1998